Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Just my non-stop crazy life...

Okay, where on earth does time go? We have about 15 functioning hours in an average day and I swear it feels like I only get to use about 1 of them....and yet I'm always doing something...at least I'm out of breath a lot...probably b/c I desperately need to get to the gym...but anyway...

Monday was back to school for Nolen. It's actually getting harder now than it was when he was in Kindergarten **FOURTH GRADE** I can't believe it! He was so excited he could barely stand it. As we got in the car, he asked "You do have your camera, right mom!?" What a great kid! I think I'm having such a hard time just because he is getting so big...and before I know it, he won't need me anymore! What if he has a crush on some cute girl this year? How am I going to deal with that?? This is the year when those "will you go with me" notes get passed around. I'm just not ready!! He's started being self conscious about random things...like his teeth. He's been using White Strips. And the first day of school he brushed once with whitening toothpaste and one with breath strips toothpaste. Who's he trying to have good breathe for?? He won't tell...

The relationships he forms now very well may alter his life forever. Example: the summer before 4th grade I met Tracy Adams, one of my closest and dearest friends to this day. Just before my senior year of high school, Tracy's boyfriend Jeff Jacobs introduced Ben and I to each other...and today we celebrate that meeting...we met August 16, 1989...married August 13, 1990 and the rest his history. Tracy and I just found out last week that Jeff passed away in March from a boating accident. It was sobering to see my 3 kids running around the house and know that if he hadn't made that one phone call to an old friend from junior high, Nolen, Ella & Gracie wouldn't be here. Heavy...

It was back to class for more than just kids this week! On Saturday, Polka Dot Potato had its very first intro to scrapbooking class taught by yours truly. It was exciting to see people learn and have fun! Here's a pic of the second class. I'm a TOTAL dork and forgot to snap a pic of the first one. You can see some more pics of the lounge here. Polka Dot Potato, Rehashed.




On Sunday, I got another bad case of baby fever when our friends Joel & Melody came with their son Grant and 3 week old baby, Kate. Isn't she beautiful?! There's nothing like the feeling of a house with a newborn in it. So comforting! While they were here, I snapped this cute picture of my girls sitting on the fireplace.

We switched internet hosts for the potato site which was loads of fun...we were down for about 2 days and still have some kinks to work out... But on the other hand, I've really been able to catch some odds and ends up at the office and feel like there is an end in sight to the chaos.

Over the summer, I worked on the logos for the spirit shirts for Nolen's school. I've prepared the art for the shirts over the last several years but this year's shirts really turned out cool! I actually didn't come up with the idea for the boys shirts...the cute PTA moms in the pic did that...but I am so pleased with how they turned out and I really can't believe I did the art! We decided to use the Dallas Mavericks logo as a guideline for ours...since we same oh so close to winning the championship...

We even had basketball shirts made for the boys. We sold over $2,000 worth of spirit items which is HUGE as we are not a wealthy school. Wahoo for the MST PTA!!

Ok, I have a confession to make and hopefully when Wendy reads this she'll laugh...I really, really thought that the 14th of August was a Tuesday. I knew that I had to speak to the Dallas Moms of Twins on the 14th...but when you don't realize until about 40 minutes before the event that in fact Monday is the 14th, there is cause for complete panic and pandemonium! Especially when the event is about 40 minutes away and you planned to spend that evening preparing the one hour talk the next day. I have no idea how it all came together...but miracles do happen because my computer didn't crash even once during the presentation! Thank you so much for having me, Wendy! I hope everyone enjoyed it! I had to laugh because in the middle of the realization of where I should be, Ben said, 'honey, can't you just call and tell them that you screwed up?' and I snapped back 'NO! I told Wendy I'd be there with bells on!'...yes, I actually wrote that in an e-mail so I was not about to disappoint! Really, it was probably so much better that I didn't prepare... I have a horrible habit of way over-preparing for events like this. It was a real blast I just love to see the wheels turning!!

3 comments:

Emily Adams said...

Awesome mega-post...ROFLOL about Nolen & the white strips! Thanks again for the awesome class on Saturday - you're a GREAT teacher!

Unknown said...

Wowsers! Great update, Ashley! LOL @ who Nolan needs fresh breath for - of COURSE he is not going to tell YOU! ;) You are his mom!

That is one darn cute baby!! I know what you mean about baby fever! I needs me some baby already! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel so important! Mention of me in your blog! Wait til I tell all my friends :)

My brain is still turning for ideas and I am right on the verge of doing a digtial page :) Bought a Wacom tablet yesterday for some other things I needed to do and it came with PSE3 so I need to get familiar with it.

I brainstorm best in the car ...I had a great idea on the way home from the meeting that night for your photo studio thing and I forgot what it was...will get back to you on that!

Now off to give my friends the link to your blog so they can see someone else likes me :)