Saturday, July 14, 2007

Cinnamon Toast take 2

**Note, I started writing this post on Tuesday but due to events detailed below, I was unable to complete it until today. :)

This morning I told Ella, "How 'bout I make cinnamon toast again this morning!" to which she replied, "No, mommy! I don't want the fire to come out of the oven" This is on the heels of Nolen telling me that I really need to learn how to use the TV. So my kids are giving me a vote of zero confidence today. I now know just how my mom felt all those times we gave her that doubtful look and rolled our eyes at what she did or said. Sorry 'bout that mama...

We've had a long-standing battle in my house about how to make cinnamon toast...a 17 year old battle to be exact. About 2 months ago I finally won the battle - Ben conceded that in fact my way was the best. Victory! We still haven't decided on the victor of the french toast battle, but I must say that odds are in his favor.

So, here's how I make cinnamon toast: slather on the butter, sprinkle sugar, sprinkle cinnamon and put in the oven, broiler setting, 400 degrees for about 3 minutes. Perfection! Crispy on top, soft on the bottom. It's heaven!

**End Tuesday's post

**Start Saturday's post

Okay, this has been a week. There were so many highlights, it's hard to pick one. There was the time Ella accidentally dropped her little wolf figurine in the flushing toilet...bye, bye wolf...hello plummer. And there was the all nighter I pulled to get our sale up and running and the day from hell that followed...which included a screaming match with my kids with Amanda on the phone followed by a sobbing meltdown. Luckily, Amanda had the cure...a trip to the dollar store and some fast food...worked like a charm. Oh, and then there was the all out war against the fruit flies, which occupied a good chunk of the week. After research and lots of traps, I'm happy to say that the war is nearly over. By the way, it's not normal for us to have a fruit-fly problem and I'm not really sure how it all started, but I sure know how to fix it! The trap of choice is a baby food jar with bananas cover in plastic wrap with holes poked in the top. We made trap making a family affair.

There definitely have been some fun times. Ella and Gracie have both changed so much in the last 8 days that I think Ben is going to freak out. I've enjoyed holding Gracie until she fell asleep in my arms, and getting the girls new dishes and food for their kitchen and watching them make food for me. Nolen and I have enjoyed brief moments together while the girls were asleep and we even got away together to go to kids improv show last night. And Gracie shocked us all by sitting down on her brand new potty about 30 seconds after I put it together and using it...correctly! She can't say the word "potty" so I don't think she's completely ready, but I'm cautiously optimistic that she will be my easiest yet. I wouldn't trade the week for anything but wow...it's been a struggle. Just 29 hours until Ben gets home!

Friday we started our first ever Potato Sack sale! It's really awesome. Our designers have loaded their sacks with about $10 worth of new goodies that you can buy for $2. The only catch is you have no idea what's inside, which is half the fun!

In addition, I've put together a mini kit that is yours free with the purchase $10. You'll find all the details on the front page of www.polkadotpotato.com

We're off today to go to a friends house so the kids can play and I can get a little 3 minute video edited for CHA. Should be fun!

2 comments:

Curdie said...

I'm liking your mini kit. I always love it when you get to do a little creating yourself.

That cinnamon toast looks good. I'm sorry you had such a rough week!

AmandaGale said...

First, I completely agree with your cinnamon toast methods! :)

I've found, when all else fails, change location for a little while...sometimes just getting out of the house puts everything in a new perspective! :)