Monday, May 01, 2006

It's Greek to me

Okay, I should have known better, but nonetheless...

This evening I decided to be domestic. Ben wanted a vegetarian dinner so I decided to be ambitious and make a Greek salad. I didn't have a recipe but I have eaten my fair share of Greek salads in the past so I felt equipped enough.

I took Ella with me to SuperTarget which always makes for an interesting trip. She took her Barbie cell phone with her. She's amazingly popular for a 2 year old. We had to stop several times while shopping so she could take a "call". I couldn't really understand the conversation but I'm sure it was work-related :) I had to "talk her down" a few times - mostly about chocolate chip cookies and some multi-colored soybeans that she insisted were yummy candy. I always have such a different experience when I take Grace v. Ella to the store. When I take Grace, people just smile and say how cute she is. With Ella, if people smile at me it's one of those "you poor thing" smiles. I get more eye-rolling and obvious fleeing than anything else. Therefore, I've just stopped making eye-contact with people when I'm with Ella. Don't get me wrong about my Ella...she's an amazing child...she just has an opinion about EVERYTHING! I would be frustrated if I wasn't so personally responsible, genetically speaking.

I spent about $20 on the ingredients for the salad - 2 kinds of olives, feta cheese, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. etc. Got home, spent about 25 minutes peeling, chopping, tossing and voila...as my husband put it...it was a valiant effort. It sucked, tasted gross and no one would eat it including myself. So if anyone has a good recipe for a Greek Salad I could certainly use it.

2 comments:

scrapbdazzled said...

I can't tell you how many times my son has suffered through one of my concoctions! Try this one......

INGREDIENTS:
1 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 lemon, juiced
ground black pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large salad bowl, combine the Romaine, onion, olives, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese.
Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and black pepper. Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve.

Curdie said...

What a bummer, better luck next time.

I wonder if Andrew is ever going to ask for a vegetarian dinner.