Friday, May 12, 2006

Living in the present

Life in general is pretty darn good. I'm excited about the future but having a good time in the present. One of my favorite quotes is by Charles Dickens - "Live in the past, the present & the future." It even resides as a magnet on my fridge. For me, it's easiest to live in the future...I'm always thinking about what's next. Living in the past isn't hard for me. I learn from past mistakes and try not to dwell on things I can't change. Living in the present is the toughest for me but I'm getting better every day.

Those that know me well, know that my scrapbooking is pretty personal to me. I put so much of myself into my craft that I feel vulnerable when I share it. I've sent pages in to be published twice in my life and was lucky enough to see them in print... A Kaleidoscope page in Memory Makers in 2000 and the Scrap City book that was just published. I'm very proud of both creations and honored to have been published but I don't think I get the rush that others do from having their pages in print. For me, it's so scary. But in an attempt to grow as a person and a scrapbooker, I've decided to put myself out there a little more... It's so weird, because I'm really a risk taker at heart. But I like to take risks that have some control over. I don't like to jump out of planes or anything...I guess I can't control other people's tastes or opinions and that's my hangup. A few weeks ago I signed up for the Ultimate Digi Scrapper contest from DigiScrappin.biz. I just completed my week 2 assignment. I'm actually very pleased with the outcome and win or lose, I'm happy with my work. I know it's out there and others may think I'm weird but this is me on paper and I like it. And really that's all that counts because I scrapbook for me.

So, here's the page: Spirit of a Girl

I'll find out on Sunday if it's good enough to go to the next round. But even if it's not, it was great doing the challenge. This was the very first page I've done about myself.

Sunday is also Mother's Day. Gracie is going to be dedicated at church which I'm super excited about. After the service we're going to my mom's house to celebrate the day. Hopefully my siblings and I will all get along for the 2 hours or so that we'll be together. That one {unlikely} event would be the best present my mom could have for Mother's Day.

Here's the pic we took of Gracie that will show up on the screen during the dedication. I think it turned out cute.

2 comments:

kateolynch said...

Gracie is so cute! I can't believe how big she has gotten!!!!

Curdie said...

I think your page looks great. I wouldn't be surprised if you started a trend with that silouette.

What a cute picture of Gracie. Around 1 am on mother's day I wondered if you were going to dedicate her that day, but I was thinking it was a little late to find out by then.