Thursday, February 23, 2006

At least we're not in Baghdad

When I was a little girl, my mom used to tell me she was going to send me to Terrell. This was her way of saying that I needed to go to the funny farm. You see, the state mental hospital was located in Terrell, TX…it’s not there anymore but she still says it. Sometimes I think it would have been a good thing to have been institutionalized years ago.

I have a saying of my own. When Nolen is complaining because he has to do homework or crying because I’m not buying him that $50 Star Wars X Wing fighter, I just tell him “At least you’re not in Baghdad”. This is how I teach him to put his life in perspective…it can always be worse. And when you think it can’t get any worse, God comes along to remind you of who’s really in control.

My life feels like chaos in slow motion. It doesn’t make sense right now. But this is when I have to sit back and just live. And know that whatever happens, at least I’m not in Baghdad. I’m in the good ol’ U.S. of A. where it would be hard to starve even if I tried.

Thanks to Kate and her wealth of American Airline upgrade points, we traveled to and from Jacksonville in first class. Wow. What fun! I have a perplexing question…what exactly is the deal with the warm towel? It’s just weird if you ask me. Do you wipe your face and then your hands? Just your hands? Your hands, then face? Gross. I just don’t get it. I do however fully and completely grasp the free alcohol.

On another completely different note, look at the super cool find in the Target dollar spot! They have all these great big letter magnets. I found every letter I needed to spell SMITH on my refrigerator. I just love it!

6 comments:

Just me said...

I don't think your mom should kid with you about Terrell, "The Funny Farm". My mom kidded about the local "Funny Farm" here too all the time I grew up. Little did she know, she passed on the Bi-Polar gene to me. My father passed on the OCD gene to me. Their parents passed it on to them. I've passed it on to my kids. On and on... Who says that's a bad thing?

People don't go the Funny Farm because they want to. They have to. It's not funny. I know you didn't mean anything by it. I just hope your mom realizes that it's not a joking matter. My mom does now.

Also, I read your blog, and realize that you are rather well off. I'm not. Many people aren't. You mentioned that it would be hard for you to starve in America. Well, it's not that hard to starve in America. At all. It's not that difficult to be very hungry in America. Even on welfare and foodstamps. We aren't lazy, stupid people. We are educated, people. We work our butts off. I am on disability right now because of Bi-Polar. You can read my blog to read more. We have four young children. Twins in the mix. Not a whole lot of food here. But the sad thing is, we are actually more fortunate than a lot of people. You are living like royalty and I don't even think you realize it. You are very fortunate. The toy you mentioned for your son. That is an oil change for the car. Actually two. You'd be left with $10.02. That would give you enough money for a gallon of milk for the night, Diet Coke, a roll of toilet paper, a loaf of bread and a treat for the kids. The trip to the movies. That doesn't happen. Only at Christmas, and maybe on a birthday.

You are extremely fortunate. I hope you really know that.You are very correct about Baghdad. I agree.

http://imbalancebeam.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Polarschmolar-

Thanks for your comments. Trust me when I tell you that I know all about being poor. It's not a fun place to be. I realize how blessed I am - I guess that was my point. Something happens in split second that changes my entire future but rather than wallow in self pity, I remind myself that I'm a lucky woman.

By the way, if you want to make your grocery money go farther, look into www.thegrocerygame.com. It's done wonders for our budget!

Curdie said...

Hi Ashley,

We are pulling for you. I don't have any sunny advice to help, but those 12 secrets of highly creative women on your sidebar look very applicable right now.

Just me said...

Ashley,
I'm sorry if feel that I'm "Wallowing in self pitty." I do thank you, for the link. I appreciate it.

Obviously you are going through a lot that I don't know about, and obviously I am going through more than you know about.

I will keep reading your blog. And I hope you will continue reading mine. I think we both have a lot that we can teach each other.

Take care,

Mackey said...

Ashley - I had a friend who always drove me INSANE, okay - let's clarify because I, too, am a diagnosed bi-polar personality so maybe I should insanER, but she would always say to me, "Now Mackey, does this really matter in the scope of eternity?"

At the time I would cringe when she would say that. Now it has become a joke of sorts in our family BUT, in reality, it is the truth. In the long run so many things that we fret over just really don't matter. We sweat the small stuff while the big things gets away from us.

There is a lot of hurting right now - within our little scrapping community, in America and certainly abroad. It breaks my heart and we need to lift one other up however possible, whenever possible.

Polarschmolar - I'm right there with you!! I've been successfully treated for almost three years now after having a complete breakdown in July 2003. If you ever need anything visit my blog and give me a yell.

Ahsley - chin up and remember - we're there supporting you!!

christina said...

hey ashley...i am with you on the warm towel...i was lucky enough to amount a mass of miles before i quit my big job to run my little store...so i carefuly dole them out to get the weird warm towel and the wonderful comfty seats!

by the way...love the target find:)