Friday, June 02, 2006

Adorn Magazine

Today was a GOOD day...one of the days where life just makes sense. I worked from home today. The kids behaved. I got a great workout in. Ben got a problem solved on the website. It seemed like every time the phone rang it was someone giving us good news.

I stopped by the office tonight to pick up some things, went through the mail and found a copy of the coolest new mag. It's called Adorn and it's basically a hip chick's craft magazine. It's full of really fun and usable ideas. This is the premiere issue and it doesn't hit the stands until the 13th so be on the lookout. The first thing I noticed about the magazine is it's totally cute size. It's petite and fun to hold and flip through. It just feels cool.

I love what the editor writes in the front: "What does it mean to be crafty?...mostly, I think it's an attitude, a willingness to try something new and improvise when need be. Finally, it's about trusting that there's no "right" way to do things...just what's right for you." Amen, sista!

There were several projects that really stuck out to me. One was this clock made from a record album. SO very cool. I want to do a bunch and line them up with a sign under each: New York, London, Tokyo, Sidney, etc. Wouldn't that be cute? They would be perfect in my kitchen.

Another project that I thought was rockin' was the frosted coasters. These would make awesome gifts for people. And the Heidi Swapp masks would be perfect for this. Another must do soon.

I also loved the Fiesta Mexicana article - the painted paper lanterns are fun. I LOVE paper lanterns. I decorated a paper lantern with silk flowers and use it as a decoration over my baby Gracie's bed. She has a vintage Hawiian theme going on in her room so the lantern seemed right (and cheap.) It's totally gaudy and I totally love it that way. I must give credit to my friend Virginia - she gave me the idea. I used Magic Scraps' gemstone fasteners to secure the flowers to the lantern. Ella's room is painted irridescent pearl, has a chandelier and black and pink accents. At Target's after Halloween sale I snagged some black paper lanterns to make her one full of pink flowers for over her bed...have yet to do it but I think this magazine might have inspired me to get to work on that project. Finally, there's a great article about cool vintage shops in Austin and since I just reconnected today with a childhood friend who lives in Austin, I think a roadtrip might be in my near future.

I love to see the cool side of crafting. I noticed that the publisher is SoHo Publishing - the same publisher of Scrap City where yours truly has a layout about my house. It's a well put together book. I gave a copy to my mom for Mother's Day b/c the journaling on my layout is about how much my mom influenced my love for decorating.

The magazine is a real winner, so if you see it, BUY IT!

5 comments:

Virginia said...

I STILL love that flower ball!! It just makes you smile! That clock is so neat, makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of all those albums in my shed!

Emily Adams said...

what great projects...I need a peek at that magazine! cool stuff

kateolynch said...

You already got a copy of Scrapcity. . .not fair! :-)

Heather said...

ooooh fun magazine! I checked it out last night at Barnes and Noble. LOVED the ideas and concepts in it! Defintely going to get a subscription!

Anonymous said...

Ashley- thanks for such a kind review! I love the flower ball idea, and am glad if we in any way helped you get back to an unfinished work. Cheers, Linda